Liquefied Gas Storage Design

Liquefied natural gas is natural gas artificially liquefied by cooling to temperature of -160°C for ease of storage and transport. For economic use it is converted to the gaseous state at special terminals.

Liquefied gas is a colorless liquid without odor and color density of which is two times less than density of water; gas is nontoxic. Boiling temperature is from -158 to -163 °C. Liquefied gas consists of 95 % of methane, the rest 5 % include ethane, propane, butane, nitrogen.

Liquefied gas is obtained from natural gas by compression with subsequent cooling. At liquefaction natural gas volume is reduced by approximately 600 times. The liquefaction process is a stage-by-stage process, at each stage gas is compressed by 5-12 times, and then it is cooled and transferred to the next stage. Liquefaction itself occurs at cooling after the last stage of compression.

Clean liquefied gas is not explosive and cannot burn. In open space at normal temperature LNG turns into a gas and quickly dissolves into air. At vaporization natural gas can be ignited in case of contact with a flame source. For LNG to burn, concentration of vapor in air shall reach 5-15 %. If concentration is under 5 %, vapor is not enough for ignition, and if concentration is more than 15 %, then lack of oxygen occurs in ambient medium. For use liquefied gas is subject to regasification that is vaporization without air.

Source: Wikipedia

проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа Taking into account the fact that it is not always possible to connect a newly constructed facility to the gas distribution network, the specialists of the Engineering Infrastructure Design Institute offer to use liquefied gas as the main type of fuel for boilers and other consumers.

Design of underground storages including selection of tank type is carried out on the basis of the results of geological engineering surveys.

Liquefied gas can also be used as emergency or backup fuel type (instead of oil fuel or diesel oil) for the heat supply facilities of high reliability rating.

The main advantages of liquefied gas over liquid or solid (coal, wood fuel, peat) fuel type are as follows:

  • ecological compatibility
  • safety
  • small size and ergonomics of fuel handling facilities
  • LNG does not corrode metal parts of the tanks
  • high heating value

Underground Liquefied Natural Gas Storage Design

проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа проектирование хранилища сжиженного газа